UnityPoint Health – Fort Dodge
RN – Cardiac Cath Lab
FTE: .40 (Part-time, 32 hours per pay period)
Shift: 7:30a-4:00p; 8:00a-5:30p. On call every other week.
- Uses radiation protection devices and techniques in accordance with established Radiation Safety Standards.
- Demonstrates acceptable levels of exposure to radiation-emitting equipment, as evidenced by regular dosimetry reports and personal badge.
- Initiates procedure orders and administers medications needed prior to, during and post-Cardiac Cath Lab procedures.
- Coordinates the effective management of emergencies arising from contrast media reactions, seizures, cardiac arrhythmias and/or arrest and other medical conditions that occur in the Cardiac Cath Lab.
- Monitors controlled substances, medicated infusions and other medications.
- Provides on-call emergency coverage on a rotational basis with other Cardiac Cath Lab staff assigned to the area.
- Evaluates patients’ and significant others’ educational needs, initiates and implements appropriate teaching protocols or makes appropriate referrals.
- Has knowledge of aseptic techniques and Infection Control guidelines. Maintains sterile field and reports break in technique.
- Assists physicians in all procedures done in the Cardiac Cath Lab.
- Exhibits the knowledge and skill to assist with all Cardiac Cath Lab procedures using instruments and supplies correctly.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care appropriate to the young/middle/mature adult patient.
- Adheres to established work schedule.
- Demonstrates positive customer relation skills.
- Participates in non-direct patient care activities including educational activities, standards development and review, performance improvement activities, department meetings and in-services, hospital/unit committees and other related activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge and desire of cost containment maintaining supply inventory at appropriate levels.
- Communicates with other members of the healthcare team to ensure continuity of care and coordination of services.
- Participates in unit orientation as requested.
- Performs related computer and clerical duties.
- Adheres to strict confidentiality.
- Documents nursing care consistent with documentation guidelines.
- Transports patients safely and in a timely manner.
- Assists in patient care: patient prepping, cardiac monitoring and recording, providing support.
- Functions as scrub person and demonstrates knowledge in scrubbing, gowning, gloving, draping, handling of instruments and supplies, preparation of catheters and balloons, circulating person and person responsible for the patients’ hemodynamic response to procedures in the Cath Lab.
- Provides other duties as assigned.
- Monitors own radiation exposure levels in conjunction with Radiology manager.
- Provides nursing care in accordance with nursing standards. Assesses and monitors total physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs of adult and geriatric patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in the care of the critically-ill patient requiring intra-aortic balloon pump, pacemakers – external, temporary and permanent, hemodynamic monitoring and other special care during Cardiac Cath Lab procedures.
- Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures
- Monitors the care of arterial lines, CVP, Swan-Ganz, ECG, drainage tubes, oxygen and other medical apparatus and assures their continued effectiveness while the patient is in the Cardiac Cath Lab.
- Current RN Licensure in State of Iowa or applicable compact state.
- Must be licensed in state of residence.
- Telemetry, Critical Care and/or previous Cardiac Cath Lab experience preferred.
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, adapt to change, evaluate critically, think creatively and implement change in a positive manner.
- Possesses integrity, initiative and flexibility.
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from patients, their families, physicians and other health professionals with understanding and tact.
- Is a member of the Support Stroke Team requiring 2 hours of annual stroke education.
- Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, refer to Job Description Addendum.
Click here to apply / learn more